25 Health Benefits Of Watermelon.
Watermelon contains 92% water but it is full of very important nutrients. Its scientific name is Citrullus lanatus.
Watermelon contains carbohydrates, many important vitamins (folates, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, thiamin, Vitamin A, C, and E), Electrolytes (sodium and potassium), Minerals (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc) and Phyto-nutrients (carotene, crypto-xanthin-beta, lutein-zeaxanthin and lycopene). Lycopene is very important for the health of Bones, Heart and decreases the risk of Prostate Cancer.
Several studies have found that consumption of fruits and fruit juices like watermelon and watermelon juice helps against oxidation damage due to the existence of antioxidants in those fruits have the ability to scavenge the reactive oxidation species and convert them into a harmless form.
The effect of this radical scavenging remains for ninety (90) minutes after the consumption of fruit or its juice, which is a reasonable safe period for human health.
Health Benefits of Watermelon.
Watermelon has a number of health benefits. But, I am going to list only twenty-five (25) of them ;
1.Anti-Oxidants-Watermelon is full of anti-oxidants and so reduces the harmful effects of reactive oxygen species (ROS).
- Lower Blood Pressure– Hypertension or high blood pressure is a serious health issue due to dependency on preserve foods or fast food which contain a large quantity of salt. Watermelon contains citrrullin which is converted into arginine and both citrulline and arginine dilate the blood vessels and lower blood pressure and hence save us from many diseases like stroke, cardiovascular diseases etc.
- Diabetes– In diabetes, great insulin resistance is the main issue, watermelon helps the diabetic patients by reducing the insulin resistance. As there will be less insulin resistance, glucose will be readily taken up by the cells.
- Muscle Soreness-Watermelon is a natural way to reduce muscle soreness and makes our body fresh and active after workouts.
- Kidney disorders-Watermelon helps in number of ways to reduce kidney disorders especially due to presence of high concentration of calcium and potassium. Calcium also helps to lower the concentration of uric acid in the blood.
- Cancer-Watermelon has the components which play an important role in cancer prevention and treatment, especially the anti-oxidents.
- Heart Health-Watermelon helps in lowering LDL level in the blood and hence improves the heart health and reduces the chances of heart attack.
- Macular Degeneration-Watermelon is very good for eye health as they contain carotenoids and vitamin A.
- Sexual Health-Watermelon is good for sexual health as it contains arginine which is converted into nitric oxide (NO) by NO syntheses. Nitric oxide (NO) improves sexual health.
- Asthma Prevention-Asthma effect around 9% children and 7% adults worldwide. It is observed that vitamin C improves asthma condition and watermelon is rich in vitamin C.
- Digestion-Gastrointestinal problems are also very common world-over. One of the digestion problems is constipation which is due to many factors and especially due to less water and fiber intake. As watermelon is rich in fluid and fiber, so it greatly improves the digestive health.
- Muscular Dystrophy-As watermelon contains arginine, it inhibit the signaling pathway that lead to inflammation that in turn not only reduce inflammation in muscular dystrophy patients but also help the muscles to regenerate.
- Skincare-In order to have smooth skin, there is need to produce collagen and as watermelon has vitamin C and E which induce the production of collagen so consumption of watermelon improves skin.
- Hair growth-Watermelon contains important vitamins which promote hair growth and this is equally good for both men and women.
- Weight Loss-Obesity is main problem of the present world and watermelon is one of the solutions as consumption of watermelon help you to burn fat and lose weight, because it contain minimum calories and plenty of water which reduce our hunger and prevent from more food consumption.
- Bone Health– For bone health , usually we consider calcium or milk but it will surprise you that watermelon is also good for bone health as it contain minerals and lycopene which improve both health.
- Nerve Health-Watermelon contains large amount of potassium which is good for nerve health. In addition, it also contains other important vitamins and minerals which further nerve and muscle health.
- Inflammation-Watermelon helps to reduce acute as well as chronic inflammation in the body and hence improves health.
- Aging-Watermelon slows down the aging process being an alkaline fruit, which reduces the acids in the body. In addition, as it contains anti-oxidants so further slows down the wear and tear of the body.
- Wound Health-As watermelon contain huge amount of vitamin C so it speed up the wound healing process.
- Prevent Oil Production In Skin – Scbaceous glands secrete oil which may create problem to keep skin clear and fresh. Watermelon is packed with Vitamin A which help in reducing pore size and the amount of oil that your sebaceous glands secrete. Due to above mentioned properties, it is believed that watermelon prevent from acne.
- Heat stroke-Heat stroke is big health problem in hot areas specially in summer and as watermelon contain almost 92% water so it helps to reduce the heat stroke. In addition, watermelon also lower the blood pressure and reduce body temperature which further help to protect from heat stroke. So prevent the heat stroke by eating watermelon and drinking watermelon juice.
- Immune Support – Watermelon being rich in important vitamins and Phyto-nutrients helps the immune system to better fight acute as well as chronic illnesses.
- Gum Health – Watermelon also improve gum health and prevent gum related diseases.
- Scurvy– Scurvy was a big health problem in 15thand 16th century and later it was prevented by use of vitamin C and as we mentioned above that watermelon is also rich in vitamin C so it help you to protect from scurvy and you feel fresh and energetic.